OF ESOPUS, NY DETAILS:
The Town of Esopus consists of Connelly, Esopus, Port Ewen, Rifton, St. Remy, Sleightsburgh, Ulster Park, and West Park.
The township maintains an extensive network of parks and preserves, including a peninsula park, Esopus Meadow Preserve and the Schaupeneak Ridge Cooperative Recreational area.
There are several man-made treasures in Esopus, as well--the 1838 Esopus Lighthouse, 1835 Perrine's Bridge (a Burr-arch covered bridge open to foot traffic) and Burroughs Sanctuary and Slab Sides (the rustic cabin of the world-renown naturalist John Burroughs).
Esopus has carried on a visionary tradition by providing a new town Hall with geothermal heating and cooling. Fifty-two percent (NEVER BEGIN A SENTENCE WITH NUMERALS) of the power for the building is provided by a solar farm and its sun-tracking arrays which received the 6kC award from NYSEIA for the best ground mount photovotaic project for 2010.
Bordered by the Hudson River on the east, the Rondout Creek to the north and west, and the Wallkill River shaping its western boundary, the Town of Esopus is steeped in natural bounty and river-tradition.
Its history is traced back to the original Dutch Colony established in 1659. The name Esopus is derived from the local Native American language meaning “land of flowing water and high banks." The town began as a cluster of many small hamlets, each with a particular industry and all located at or near rail transport, waterpower, waterways or shipping ports.
In addition to light industries and transportation, the township is in the center of a fertile alluvial region where many types of fruit were grown for export. The most celebrated agricultural product from Esopus was the Esopus Spitzenburgh apple, which met with international rave. The township is still noted for its productive fruit farms--providing locally grown produce to the Ulster County area.
Top of Page
(Based on 2010 Census)
Kingston City School District, Highland Central
School District, New Paltz Central School District
Town of Esopus
Library (Port Ewen), 845-338-5580
Transfer Station, 845-384-6835,
Recycling Helpline: Ulster County Resource Recovery Agency, 845-336-3336, www.ucrra.org
Top of Page
Clubs & Resources
Emergency Assistance & Hospitals
Esopus Business Alliance, 845-384-1650, www.esopusbusinessalliance.org
Main Street "Strategic Toolbox", a program of the Ulster County
Planning Board focusing on Port Ewen and Milton, http://ulstercountyny.gov/planning/mstoolbox.html
Police / Sheriff - Non-Emergency
Recreation Commission, Esopus, www.esopus.com/rec.html
• Area Senior Services
• Senior Citizens, Town of Esopus, Cathie Quick 845-331-7358 CQuick2121@aol.com
Sports – Youth:
• Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse: http://www.peaa.org
• Little League: http://www.esopuslittleleague.com
• Area Transportation
Ulster BOCES Adult & Continuing Education
Ulster County Photography Club, (at the Town of Esopus Library), 845-338-5580, www.ucphotoclub.org
Voter Registration Information
Top of Page
Visit our Events Calendar for more happenings.
Action Paintball, 365 Route 9W (Broadway), Ulster Park, 845-331-8759, www.hvactionpaintball.com
Art Galleries - Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link - www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/history-arts-and-culture
• Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link - www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/farms
• Pick Your Own Farms
• Golf Courses - Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link, scroll down, drop down the "Type" menu tab, and click on Golf Courses - www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/recreation
• Miniature Golf
Headless Horseman Hayrides & Haunted House, Ulster Park, 845-339-2666, www.headlesshorseman.com
Ice Cream Parlors
Certified Marina 845-339-3060; Jeffs Yacht Haven 845-331-9248; Rondout Yacht Basin 331-7061
• For information on Museums and Historic Sites in Ulster County, click below link for a PDF of Ulster County Tourism's Cultural Heritage Guide brochure:
• Klyne-Esopus Historical Society Museum, 845-338-8109, http://klyneesopusmuseum.us
Parks & Trails:
• Area Trails and Rail Trails
• Area Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Hiking, NYS Parks
• Discover Town of Esopus Heritage Trails and Recreation Brochure
Black Creek Forest Preserve, 845-473-4440, www.scenichudson.org/parks/blackcreek
• Esopus Meadows Lighthouse & Lighthouse Park, 845-848-3669, www.esopusmeadowslighthouse.org
• Esopus Meadows Point Preserve & Environmental Center, 100-acre Scenic Hudson site provides views of three Greenway trails, view of the Esopus Meadows Lighthouse, environmental center for the Sloop Clearwater's Tideline Discovery Program, 845-473-4440, www.scenichudson.org/parks/esopusmeadows
• George Freer Memorial Park,
• John Burroughs Slabsides & Sanctuary, West Park, 212-769-5169,
• Perrine's Bridge, www.klyneesopusmuseum.org/perrinesbridge.html
• Ross Park, www.esopus.com/rec.html
• Shaupeneak Ridge Cooperative Recreation Area, 3.5 miles of trails thruogh 561-acres of wildlife conservation, 845-473-4440, www.scenichudson.org/parks/shaupeneakridge
• Sleightsburgh Park, Port Ewen,www.scenichudson.org/parks/sleightsburgh
• Sojourner Truth Freedom Trail, take the 11-mile route of Truth's escape from slavery, 845-257-3681, www.newpaltz.edu/sojourner_truth
Theater & & Performing Arts
Wood 'N Wheel Family Fun Center, Ulster Park, Roller Skating, Laser Tag, Rock Wall, Bumper Cars, Bungee Trampoline, Gyroscope, 845-331-9680, www.woodnwheel.com
Top of Page