OF HURLEY, NY DETAILS:
The Town of Hurley consists of Old Hurley, Glenford and Southside (the Spillway), West Hurley (which is close to Town of Woodstock).
Hurley is a quiet community that is nationally known for its collection of twenty-five 18th and 19th century stone houses on the National Register of Historic Places. The annual stone house tour in July is popular with tourists as well as residents.
Established as Nieu Dorp in 1662 by the Dutch, the town was burned completely in 1663 by the Esopus Indians. Quickly resettled, it was renamed by the English in 1664.
Hurley is the second oldest settlement in Ulster County. When Kingston was burned in 1777, the State records were moved here and it served as the temporary headquarters of the state's executive officers. Although crowded, it was a welcoming shelter for the refugees from Kingston.
(Based on 2010 Census)
Kingston City School District, Onteora Central School District
Hurley Library, 845-338-2092, www.hurleylibrary.org
West Hurley Public Library, 845-679-6405, www.westhurleylibrary.org
Recycling Helpline: Ulster County Resource Recovery Agency, 845-336-3336, www.ucrra.org
Top of Page
Central Catskill Chamber of Commerce, 845-586-3300, www.centralcatskills.com
Clubs & Resources
Emergency Assistance & Hospitals
Hurley Heritage Society, 845-338-1661, www.hurleyheritagesociety.org
New York Conservatory For The Arts (NYCA), 845-339-4340, www.NYCA.org
Police / Sheriff - Non-Emergency
Recreation Dept., Town of Hurley, 845-331-7474 ext. 313,
Voter Registration Information
Top of Page
Visit our Events Calendar for more happenings.
Art Galleries - Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link - www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/history-arts-and-culture
• Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link - www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/farms
• Pick Your Own Farms
• Golf Courses - Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link, scroll down, drop down the "Type" menu tab, and click on Golf Courses - www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/recreation
• Miniature Golf
Ice Cream Parlors
• For information on Museums and Historic Sites in Ulster County, click below link for a PDF of Ulster County Tourism's Cultural Heritage Guide brochure:
Parks & Trails:
• Area Trails and Rail Trails
• Area Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Hiking, NYS Parks
• Town of Hurley Park, www.townofhurley.org/content/Parks/View/1
Theater & & Performing Arts
Top of Page