OF SHAWANGUNK, NY DETAILS:
The Town of Shawangunk consists of the Hamlets of Bruynswick, Crawford, Dwaarskill, Walker Valley, Wallkill and Ulsterville.
The land here is a broken and hilly upland, spanning the high ridge of the Shawangunk Mountains along the northwest side of the range.
The Shawangunk Grasslands National Wildlife Refuge is one of New York's top 10 areas for grassland dependent migratory birds. Whether visitors are bird watching or hiking, they are rewarded with spectacular views.
Shawangunk (originally pronounced Shong-um) derives its name from the Esopus Indian language. Early settlers purchased the tract of land "behind the Paltz" from the native tribe in 1682. It was settled in 1709 as part of New Paltz, but was incorporated separately in 1788.
Early industries consisted primarily of light manufacturing, especially the production of ox bows, baker peeks, brick makers' supplies, wagon rims, and, with the Ulster Hat Company, soft felt hats. In 1871, coal mining sputtered to a start when a small vein was found in the Shawangunk range, but the operations were soon abandoned.
Top of Page
(Based on 2010 Census)
Pine Bush Central School District, Valley Central School District,
Wallkill Central School District
Pine Bush Area Public Library District, 845-744-3375, Facebook Page
Wallkill Public Library, 845-895-3707, www.wallkillpubliclibrary.org
Transfer Station, 845-895-2894 (Open Wednesdays and Saturdays),
Recycling Helpline: Ulster County Resource Recovery Agency, 845-336-3336, www.ucrra.org
Top of Page
Crawford Arts Association, 845-744-8230
Clubs & Resources:
• Area Clubs & Resources
• Clubs & Organizations, Town of Shawangunk website,
Emergency Assistance & Hospitals
• Historical Society of Shawangunk & Gardiner, PO Box 570, Wallkill, NY 12589, www.wallkillhistory.com
• Town of Crawford Historical Society, 845-744-2020, www.townofcrawford.org/CrawfordOnline/HistoricalSociety.aspx
Lions Club of Pine Bush, www.e-clubhouse.org/sites/pinebushny
Pine Bush Area Chamber of Commerce, 845-673-9034
Police / Sheriff - Non-Emergency
Shawangunk Snowmobile & Rescue Club, Pine Bush, 914-213-1660, www.shawangunksnowmobile.com
• Town of Shawangunk, www.shawangunk.org/clubs-organizations.html
Voter Registration Information
Walden Motocross Track, Wallkill, 845-895-2537, www.waldenmx.com
Top of Page
Visit our Events Calendar for more happenings.
Art Galleries - Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link: www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/history-arts-and-culture
• Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link: www.ulstercountyalive.com/landing/farms
• Pick Your Own Farms
• Farmers' Market -
Wallkill Farmer’s Market, Wallkill Library grounds, Bridge & Park Ave. All profit goes to local food pantry. Stu, 845-895-3933.
• Golf Courses - Visit Ulster County Tourism's website link, scroll down, drop down the "Type" menu tab, and click on Golf Courses:
• Miniature Golf
Ice Cream Parlors
• For information on Museums and Historic Sites in Ulster County, click below link for a PDF of Ulster County Tourism's Cultural Heritage Guide brochure:
Parks & Trails:
• Trails and Rail Trails
• Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Hiking, NYS Parks
• Shawangunk Town Parks, www.shawangunk.org/town-services-parks.html
• Borden Library Park, 7 Bona Ventura Ave., Wallkill, 845-895-3707
• Galeville Park, Long Lane, Shawangunk, 845-895-2611
• Garrison Park, Central & Park Avenues, Wallkill, 845-895-2611
• Popp Memorial Park, Route 208. Wallkill, 845-895-2611
• Sam's Point Preserve, Crawford, 16-mile hiking trail,
• Schoolhouse Park, Route 52 & Marl Road, Walker Valley, 845-895-2611,
• Shawangunk Grasslands National Wildlife Refuge, Hoagerburgh Rd., Shawangunk, 973-702-7266, www.fws.gov/refuge/shawangunk_grasslands
• Shawangunk, Walden & Wallkill Rail Trail, Route 208, 4.5 miles,
• Verkeerder Kill Park, 3232 Route 52, Walker Valley, 845-895-2611
Shawangunk Wine Trail, 845-256-8456, www.shawangunkwinetrail.com
Theater & & Performing Arts
Top of Page